FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with Airbnb?
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:41 am
Antonio8069

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think Airbnb being the massively wealthy outfit that they are should take responsibility for this rather putting the financial burden on the hosts, or guests if it is the other way around. Buyer beware as they say. If you are a guest and you show up for your vacation and find the host isn't there to give you the key, due to a death in the family or some other such circumstance, you are just plain out of luck and and on your own. Another reason to stick with hotels.
I have no issue with airbnb cancellation policies. None whatsoever. As you may be aware, many airbnb listings have no 3rd party authenticated reviews i.e. the guest who books at your place has to take (at face value) the reviews on the airbnb site!

I have arrived at 2 airbnb stays where the accommodation was clearly unacceptable. Airbnb asked for pics & a description of the issues, then they refunded me the full amount - or - agreed to book alternative accommodation. What you may not know is I was not invited/allowed to write a review. That is fair (TA allows reviews, even if you did not stay there.)

Any host who depends on AirBnb for income is bound to be disappointed. The fees you pay are substantial (3 %). I agree they are growing quickly, but what is your evidence they are "massively wealthy"? As a private for profit company, Airbnb is not req'd to provide SEC-standard financial statements. Recently, they delayed their IPO to pursue venture capital for expansion:

http://moneymorning.com/2015/06/19/a...ion-valuation/