FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Tipping Etiquette
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:16 pm
cbn42
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Disclaimer: I'm European so some of you might roll their eyes when reading this.

I'm currently at a five star resort in Orange County and I'd like to find out more about when/how much to tip in specific situations.
For example, the Valet is 40$ per day, which I find really steep compared to some similar hotels in the US I've been to. I would usually give the valet five bucks but in this case I just can't justify the additional expense. Am I correct here?
It would be customary to tip the valet anywhere between $2 and $5. However, you can tip as you please. If you can't justify the additional expense, then don't.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
My (Virtuoso) package includes Full American Breakfast and there is no buffet, which means that everything is à la carte. For two people that amounts to $150, with 11$ tax. When applying the classic double tax rule, I would have to tip 22 bucks. Would you do that? I mean in Europe or anywhere else in the world for that matter, if breakfast is included I rarely get presented with a check, which means no tip. What is the rule here?

Thanks for your advice.
The rule for meals with table service is 15-18% of the bill, and a bit less for buffets. Again, it's up to you.

I have a feeling that, like many Europeans, you are overthinking this. Tip what you feel appropriate, and move on. No one is going to chase you with a sledgehammer if you break some social norm.

One thing to remember is that California requires all staff to be paid the same minimum wage, without deductions for tips. Therefore, tipped employees in California make much more than their counterparts in other states. It's still expected to tip, but it's not as essential as in other states where tips literally make up the worker's livelihood.