FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MP Strategy to End the Year
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:41 pm
syrahnose

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by Wangta

With that said, I'm curious how others are thinking about their status going into the last quarter of the year. Is it worth doing a mileage run to hit the 1K mark? I can always use a vacation, but I've discovered finding a really good deal (3-4 CPD flights) are few and far between flying out of SFO.

Anyways, curious how you guys are thinking about the benefits of Gold/Plat/1k status and how you guys are using your points the most efficiently (what are you guys saving them for and spending them on?)
I've flown SFO-SYD route this year and had 4 successful GPUs, where I had one last year. But all those were booked at V, H or E level, whereupon several years ago I was booking W class and getting these consistently. So its a little better now after the cull last year, but very much based on fare level.

What exactly do you guys use the points for? I'm finding upgrading via points is difficult and expensive - you gotta buy a certain fair class ticket for international flights to be eligible for complementary upgrades, and if you use miles + $$$ to upgrade, you gotta use 30k points and $600.
REgardless of class, as 1K/MM, I've never had complementary upgrade on United international flight. However, I was upgraded to business twice for free on 2 Star carriers, Lufthansa and Singapore. Both far superior in all respects, seat, bed, food, wine, music and service. Perhaps this done to entice me over from UA.

Anyways, curious how you guys are thinking about the benefits of Gold/Plat/1k status and how you guys are using your points the most efficiently (what are you guys saving them for and spending them on?)
I've been 1K for 9 years now and MM for 3. I use miles exclusively to fly family on holidays and the only advantage I see are the GPUs for long haul use. I rarely use RPU, but when I do, the quality of food/seats/booze in BF isn't up to par with other carriers, nor worth added expense over EP. But I'm used to 8-15 hours flights, so anything under 4 is a bus ride for me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2015 at 4:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote