FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:55 pm
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by apodo77
Hope you enjoyed time with the family. That is a lot of white tile in the bathroom and an exceptionally embarrassing meal on AA.
Thank you apodo77.

Originally Posted by pafrican
My wife and I went to House Without a Key on our honeymoon six years ago. Definitely one of the best meals of that week. Good memories, sans the hit on the wallet from one of the jewelry shops in the hotel.
Fun report for a stroll down memory lane SFO, thanks!
Thanks very much pafrican. Fortunately, I escaped the jewelry shop without damage.

Originally Posted by WikiHNL
I go to HNL a few times a year, and was just there again the week of July 13th. I actually was thinking of your trip reports, and wondering when you would post your HNL trip! :-)
We rent our suite out and always recommend "House without a Key" to couples. It's such a lovely setting.
Have you ever gone to The Kahala? I walked there from Waikiki because its just so beautiful! Stay there next time so I can enjoy it through you!
Thanks so much WikiHNL. We have not yet stayed at the Kahala. The location was the primary reason we passed this trip. You walked all that way?? Tell me you didn't do that walk in the summertime?

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I used to live on Oahu a few years back and Hoku's at the Kahala is one of my favorite restaurants around. I went back in Nov to visit friends and I took them there. For some reason, I thought the food was better in years past. Still good though. I can't believe you walked all the way from Waikiki to there. That is quite a hike though it does have some pretty views as you walk along the route.
Thank you HawaiiTravlr. Definitely have to visit The Kahala next time.

Originally Posted by cmd320
As always a great and detailed report. The UA catering actually looks somewhat similar to what AAs was prior to its dismantling. If only UA were a little more convenient from Florida I would try to fly them a bit more, but with their hub choices it doesn't make a lot of sense most of the time.
As others have stated, just your average ocean waves/whitecaps. These can be seen anytime your flying over water, and are generally more pronounced on windier days.
Thanks very much cmd320. Amazing that in one short year, UA has moved may ahead of AA in domestic catering.

Originally Posted by WikiHNL
I usually just go in for a drink on the beach, haven't tried the restaurant yet.
Yup - walked all the way there, and back. The views are amazing! I love a good long walk, and where better to do them than in Hawaii? I end up going so slow because I'm always stopping to take in the amazing views.
(Sorry for the hijack OP! )
No worries. Thanks WikiHNL.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Your snide comments always get me laughing! "Gourmet cheese" = vegetable oil, artificial colours and salt, I reckon.
Thanks for another brilliant report. As for the man taking his own picture - nothing says "vanity' like a selfie stick! Those things look absolutely grotesque.
Thank you Flyingfox. Hate those ridiculous selfie sticks.