FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help selecting a digital SLR/video camera
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:38 am
lhgreengrd1
Suspended

Personally, I wouldn't get a DSLR nowadays, because of the bulk and weight. I'd get a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. There are several excellent systems out there, including Micro 4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic), Sony, Fuji, and Samsung. Nikon and Canon have been late to this party because they have a vested interest in prolonging the life of the DSLRs that they dominate, but they are also starting to develop some interesting systems of this type.

There are several discussions about these systems in the Travel Photography forum. I personally use Micro 4/3 system, but the others mentioned also have merit. One comment I'd make is that Olympus and Fujifilm seem to have the most interesting offerings for mainly still photo use, whereas Sony and Panasonic seem to have the most capable offerings for video - while also delivering great stills. Samsung seems to be a leader in merging photo capability with wireless communication.