FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MP Strategy to End the Year
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:28 pm
Delta3MM

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I hit the magical 2MM point. I had been chasing 1K for the last 12 years. I've spent anywhere from $5K to $12K in a year, but typically would spend like $8K.

I don't want to spend $12K just to go from Plat to 1K. Really, it's the earning rate and the mileage. For me to spend $12K, I would fly closer to 150K (thus earning more GPUs and RPUs). However, that's about a 50% increase in my flying. I don't really do mileage runs, I go somewhere and stay a while. I just don't have time or the money to travel longer.

As a 1K, I used to earn 200K+ RDM. With the new program, spending $12K will net me only 132K miles. That's a serious devaluation compared to AA.

True, the other programs have changed, but Delta does not have the $12K spend requirement even for Diamond. And American is still earning the old way, which I prefer.

For now, I'm dropping my travel to what I want to do, and giving up the GPUs and RPUs starting next year. I will miss 1K, but know that United will not miss me.

What's sad for them is I control the travel for my company ($$$) - so no one else is going to fly United either and I buy tickets for several family members and friends - to the tune of about $5K to $10K per year. All that is lost to United as well.

Can't track that stuff.

Billy