FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MP Strategy to End the Year
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:49 pm
PsiFighter37

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if your international trips are in paid business class there is really not a reason to mileage run to 1K, since the biggest distinction between the two levels of status is the GPUs. i guess you also earn a couple of more miles per dollar spent on tickets too as a 1k vs. plat.

at any status level, all revenue fare classes are upgrade eligible. you're correct that for an instant upgrade at time of purchase you must buy YB as a plat/below or YBM as a 1K, and you also have to have availability in the instant upgrade fare bucket (PN as i recall).

another distinguishing factor between gold and plat/1K is that for plat you get 2 RPUs and for 1k you get 4, plus another 2 for every 25K additional miles you fly (i.e., 125K = 6 total RPU).
If I was within reach of 1K, I would definitely do it just for the GPUs. I know people complain about finding them hard to use, but I would still greatly enjoy having 6 of those to use.

With regards to OP's question - as for what I use miles for - I have almost always used them for miles + copay upgrades on international flights, as well as TCON domestic. I'm beginning to contemplate using them to fly my wife free in international, where I pay / keep status by earning the PQMs, while my wife drops down (probably to Silver)...even if she's in a lower group / different PNR, she would still be able to board with me.

As for status - I do like Platinum for the RPUs and Group 1 boarding lane, since Group 2 is just a complete zoo (and even Group 1 is getting a bit big, TBH). But yes, I'd aim to stay at least Gold, just because the E+ means that, as a relatively short person, the leg room is never an issue and I'm always comfortable.