FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MP Strategy to End the Year
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:05 pm
Wangta

Programs: UA - Premier 1K, UA MM 1K; Marriott Platinum
Share Your United Status and Miles Strategy to End 2015

Hey all - I'm pretty new to the mileage programs, flyertalk and mileage strategy topics but have enjoyed reading and learning over the last couple months.

I just achieved Platinum on United this year. I travel to Asia and Europe 2-4 times per year each for work. I typically fly business class so that has allowed me to surpass the PQD thresholds very quickly (already spent over $12k!), thus I only really have to focus on the mileage accumulation. As stated, I just passed 76k miles this year, but don't have any other long-haul trip planned yet for the year (that could change).

With that said, I'm curious how others are thinking about their status going into the last quarter of the year. Is it worth doing a mileage run to hit the 1K mark? I can always use a vacation, but I've discovered finding a really good deal (3-4 CPD flights) are few and far between flying out of SFO.

I've also been really curious about the real value of United points and the 1k vs. Platinum or Gold status.

Using UA Miles:
What exactly do you guys use the points for? I'm finding upgrading via points is difficult and expensive - you gotta buy a certain fair class ticket for international flights to be eligible for complementary upgrades, and if you use miles + $$$ to upgrade, you gotta use 30k points and $600. Is that really a deal (I guess maybe if you buy K class +$600)? Maybe using the points for a saver business class seat? Using the .02 per point guidance, the price often ends up being similar to outright buying a deep discounted business class seat.

UA Status:
Gold status and up allows you to book economy plus tickets at the time of booking - a huge upgrade from Silver. I personally find this the most valuable part of the program - for vacations, I often buy cheapo tickets for me and the wife (K class) and can then get Economy plus - that's when I really value the status. But other than that - I'm finding it hard to clearly describe what platinum and 1k have an advantage over Gold (the GPU are nice). Sure, plat and 1k can get auto complimentary upgrades, but only on domestic flights (might be wrong), and they typically have to buy a certain class of ticket (Y/B/M) - which end up being almost the same price as a deep discounted business ticket!

Anyways, curious how you guys are thinking about the benefits of Gold/Plat/1k status and how you guys are using your points the most efficiently (what are you guys saving them for and spending them on?)

Last edited by Wangta; Jul 31, 2015 at 4:11 pm