FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hard to decipher restriction on Alamo rentals for RR points
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:49 pm
flyerfmaz

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Given your rental volume, I'd consider ditching Alamo for National (owned by the same and usually co-located in same lot) and collect Free Days which have been more valuable to me over the years (for vacations) instead of the (small?) amount of (fixed?) points. Y Opinion MV.
I've been trying to switch, but National's rates at TUS are too high. Just a few minutes ago I was fishing around for a reservation and National was nearly $200 for a week, while most of the others were around $120. This has been the pattern for months. I don't know how National stays in business at TUS airport.

For the most part I've been using Hertz and Enterprise this year. The sudden switch to Alamo for two or three rentals was because I couldn't squeeze a decent rate out of Hertz. For TUS airport, weekly rentals should average between $100 and $150 a week (total, including all taxes and fees). Hertz keeps edging higher, and they're about to jump the shark with me, with rates approaching $180 or more.

Also, I collect Southwest points rather than car rental points, so much depends on what rates come back with the Southwest codes.

Last edited by flyerfmaz; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:56 pm