FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hard to decipher restriction on Alamo rentals for RR points
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:21 am
flyerfmaz

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Hard to decipher restriction on Alamo rentals for RR points

I posted this in a car rental forum, but since it also involves Rapid Rewards I thought it could also be beneficial to ask in this forum:

I collect Southwest RR points, and my next three rentals are with Alamo (been renting with Hertz, but their rates have become non-competitive at the location I rent from).

My rental pattern is weekly, Saturday-to-Saturday. I pick up a car on Saturday mornings, return it the following Saturday, and immediately pick up another rental while I'm there. The reason for weekly, vice monthly, rentals is that it provides me with the flexibility to cancel a rental in the event my client has a schedule change and wants me to work from home for a week rather than come into the office.

There is a somewhat oddly worded restriction on the Southwest site concerning Alamo rentals. It states:

"With Alamo, a flight is not required in order to receive points except in the case where the Member has multiple rentals on consecutive days in the same market. If more than one rental occurs in the same day or consecutive days, a flight must be taken within 24 hours of each rental."

So, here's the puzzle. I rent locally (never fly in) and drive in-state. The wording of the restriction is a little confusing -- would dropping off and picking up a rental on the same day void the award of RR bonus points? If so, I may have to use a different car rental company every other week to keep the bonus points coming in.