FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car Rental in Cancun
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:39 pm
KebaNYC

Still Confused

I have rented dozens of times in Cancun and other parts of Mexico but I am always confused about the insurance options no matter how much research I do prior to the trip. As a traveler and Flyertalker I should be better prepared and knowledgeable about what is the right thing to do but it is the same experience every year. On every rental in Mexico I walk up to the desk, look at the options and get totally confused, especially because I know they will look over the car very carefully upon return.

National lists 5 insurance options: (Prices are from last year)

• Third party liability for $14/day covers persons up to $75KUSD
  • PAI Personal accident for $3/day covers medical expenses of driver up to 50k USD
  • CDW Collision for $15/day covers collision or theft + Deductible
  • CDW-E $8/day on top of the regular CDW - I don't know what this adds
  • DP $11/day for deductible protection

I know about the mandatory insurance for liability but what about the other insurance? I usually rent using my Starwood Amex but I don't know if this covers anything in Mexico or how it would work. Fortunately, I have never had any of them say I caused any damage but I am sure that is because I took the full coverage.

For example, my one week rental last year for a VW jetta sized car was $397.

Should I just be paying for the Liability and depend on Amex to cover the rest? Is paying for the total package and having piece of mind the best thing to do?

I'm so confused but this year I am vowing to get it right.

Thanks

Keba