FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:32 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Ah, ok, that makes sense. It's a shame you can't put together an itinerary and see if it passes the married segment test, but I guess that's what we're stuck with these days. I managed to get in a redemption to Australia for next spring before they fully rolled out married segments, and my next DL redemption will be a one-way to Europe which I've had good luck finding in business low through regular searches.

I do have to wonder how you'd add in unforced overnight layovers now or if those are now a relic of SkyMiles past. I don't have any need for it in the near future, but I guess I'd be tempted to try to book a trip using the connecting cities I wanted and then call and try to change the dates of the flights.
My most recent overnight layover was in fact necessary (only afternoon/evening flights available from origin to hub, and only morning flights available from hub to TATL destination). Even that couldn't be booked online, and took about three weeks of back and forth phone calls and emails to get it priced correctly and issued all on one ticket. System kept wanting to price it as separate tickets even though the connection was <12 hrs.

So, I guess that's how you add in those overnights.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
I am pretty sure that the site is "working" exactly how it is designed to.

I also haven't heard of DL waiving the phone booking fee due to not being able to book flights online, esp. since such non O&D searches will need to go through Global Ticketing Support and be likely manually put together and priced.
Oh, I agree that the website is working as intended, thus the need to call.

But I thought I have seen reports of people being successful in saying "I found these flights online, but the website gives an error when I try to actually book them, please do it for me" - and then having the ticket issued over the phone with no fee.

No direct experience as I've been exempt from phone fees for some time now.