FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best & worst Bourbon?
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by thelark
I thought the same thing about the weller - that would have been my go-to on that list followed by Handy. That Whistle Pig pricing is absurd.

Have a bottle of 4R OBSF barrel strength on the way. 11yr 1mo old, 119 proof - was the PA "Fine wine and good spirits" barrel pick.
I didn't even see the whistle pig.. wow 56 GBP for a pour... it does retail in the USA for $180-$200 (the new one, spirit of Mortimer)... though technically it's in the wrong section because it's a Canadian product...

Originally Posted by BamaVol
It's a nice list. But the prices seem high. I guess I'm not used to big city liquor prices. I'll have to stop by Lowes House of Bourbon locally and snap a pic of the price list to compare.

It's always a trade off I think for some bars... I've talked to some owners about this.. if they price it according to normal conventions, then they sell through their product quickly... thus most have adapated a higher pricing strategy to limit sales and thus keep stock longer... in addition, it seems that at least in the USA some bars are having to seek out the secondary market for their supply which also drives up their costs/pricing...

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Guys, this is a drinks list from one of the more expensive London hotels. This sort of pricing is fairly common in luxury hotels across Europe. From memory, a pour of Bourbon Eagle Rare 10yo in the Grand Hyatt Berlin (an average priced hotel) was €18. Higher-end European hotels will charge up to €24 for that.
you're absolutely right, it is good list with ok pricing... not great but not bad... my best Europe find was at the Park Hyatt in Vienna... they had the Four Roses SIngle BArrel on their list for I think 12 euros a pour, which is a reasonable price... However when the bottle came out, it was a bottle of the FOur Roses Single BArrel Limited Edition from 2012, which retailed in 2012 for about 4x the normal single barrel.. needless to say I finished all that they had
left

FDW