FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car Rental in Cancun
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:49 pm
georgeroads

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
OK, I did some on-line checking. The best I got was with an unspecified provider through easycars: they said the one-way additional charge would be USD93. Weighed against bus fares for three + taxi transfers + convenience, that doesn't seem too bad.

But considering your advice, and with only 6 or 7 days to play with, perhaps staying those days in Cancun would be sensible, leaving Merida for another trip. My only concern is the resort, disney-world, nature of Cancun.
I spent a couple months last year and hit Merida and Progresso in summer. Merida has great restaurant scene but is very hot and Progresso is disappointing, no good beach and subpar lodging. I would recommend doing the ruins at Tulum where you can take a swim where the Mayans did years ago. Similar old rocks as Chichen Itza with less heat and mosquitoes. Also check on the cenotes along the coast for swimming in caves. There's plenty to do outside but nearer to the CUN area such as Isla Mujeres, Holbox or Cozumel all of which would be good for 1 or 2 nights. I definitely prefer PDC over CUN mainly because PDC is so much more walkable.

BTW the toll road between MID and CUN was about $40 each way. All toll roads in Mexico are pricey. If you do go check out, Vallodolid about half way between the 2 cities for lunch.