FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Windy City and The Dairy State via AA 738 Y and VX A320 Y
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:35 pm
lesamuel

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Review: Brewhouse Inn and Suites Milwaukee

(Please pardon the picture quality in this post; this hotel isn't well lit inside at night @:-))

We arrived at the hotel around 11:45pm after the quick drive up from O’Hare. We parked our car, although the hotel does offer a valet service. The hotel is a converted Pabst brewery, and it still shows on the outside.

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Exterior

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Exterior

The front desk employees were very helpful and thanked us for our loyalty, noting we had stayed there before. (Read: suite upgrade) Unfortunately, they were booked up and out of suites for the evening .

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Lobby

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Front Desk

Directly above the lobby is the atrium, and the original brewheads from the Pabst, and the ceiling in the lobby has been cut out to display them.

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Ceiling

We took the short elevator ride up to the third floor (our room was coded 3XX), only to find there was no access to the side of the building our room was on (opposite the elevator). We then took the elevator down to the second floor and hoofed it up a short flight of stairs to our corner room.

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Atrium

The room was very comfortable and clean, and the bed was especially plush.

Brewhouse Inn and Suites King Room

There was an HD TV which featured a large spread of channels, including premium movie channels, such as HBO or Showtime.

Brewhouse Inn and Suites King Bed

The room also featured a kitchenette, which is always useful, although we were only staying for an overnight.

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Kitchenette

The desk, while plain, had outlets conveniently placed… finally!

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Desk

The bathroom was spotless, and featured toiletries from a local Milwaukee spa. The towels were very soft and fluffy. I suspect they were Turkish cotton

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Bathroom

Before I continue saying good things about the room, there are three flaws in the bathroom:

1. Water pressure in the shower is nonexistent
2. Note in the below picture that the door is at the rear of the shower, so there is no way to avoid the first jet of cold water.
3. While I don’t tend to enjoy sitting in a tepid pool of my own filth, I’m sure some people would like to have the option of a tub .

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Shower

The hotel does feature a gym, although it isn’t 24 hours, so we weren’t able to make use of it during our stay. It was rather basic, with treadmills, weights, and yoga mats, so I’m not sure we were missing out on much. I went running in the morning in Lake Park, and I can affirm that’s much more scenic than four mirrored walls

Brewhouse Inn and Suites Shower Gym

Immediately after photographing our room before settling in, the front desk gave us a call telling us we had gotten a ticket. They explained to us later at the front desk that in this particular area, Milwaukee no longer has overnight public parking. Not sure if this is a ploy to use the valet, especially because the ticket we received was for being too close to a sidewalk.

The hotel offers complimentary breakfast, which consists of a basic spread of bagels, fruit, cereal, and hot dishes, although those are a supplement. We didn’t indulge this time around, because we had a reservation at Lake Park Bistro, which we know is great from past experience.

Here a couple pictures from the hotel's website of the different room types (I tend to prefer the two bedroom suite, which is the most spacious. On this stay, we were in the studio.

Two Bedroom Suite

Baron Two Bedroom

Baron Loft

Baron Terrace

One Bedroom

Studio

Bottom line:

The Brewhouse Inn and Suites is a little extravagant for an overnight, but it was the same rate for the aloft (which is subpar IMO) in downtown, and the Pabst was a more convenient location for us. The rooms themselves are very nice, and the front desk is kind and welcoming, but the amenities themselves are lacking a little. I’ve stayed a couple times before, and this was probably the most substandard of previous experiences, although for sure I would return .

Unfortunately, there's no options to redeem points at this hotel, so I would only jump on it if the rate fell below $200.

Next up, Lake Park Bistro and Amtrak coach!