FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:22 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Forgive me for going off on a tangent, but here's the problem I have with the special meals, and I will illustrate by using the typical middle aged person who is at risk of heart disease. Reduce the fat and salt intake they are told. Where is the option for low fat, low sodium? It is one or the other, and that does not make any sense. This is probably the most common meal requirement, more so than diabetic or religious, and yet it is not easily obtained. 50% of the population over the age of 50 fall into this class and the number flying in J that meets that requirement is probably 75 %.

Airlines are notorious for high sodium/ high fat content and one of the biggest problems with low fat prepared foods is that the sodium content is often significantly higher than with regular foods. What special meals do you FFs take when trying to keep both sodium and fat intake down?

Fruit plate.

P.S. I have tried many of the "special meals" over the years. Vegetarian was great until someone decided I should have curry which I did not order. Ova-lacto was a great option for a few years and the food was interesting and tasty.

We also tried Kosher. But we discovered that Kosher is only great when departing certain cities.

The challenge for AC and perhaps other airlines is that they offer these meals to those with dietary or religious (or age) requirements. They do not promise these meals to be tasty, hot or filling.

The other challenge is that different airlines use different catering companies and some are better than others (I think this came up in the international food thread a while back).