FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Master thread] What's the best "act of kindness" you've experienced while traveling
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:22 am
ysolde
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
We had a nice one recently. As we were finishing up a European trip, we spent the day on trains from a small town just outside FRA to MXP. It was about eleven hours total, with several train changes throughout the day. Although we were traveling in First class, it was an exhausting day, with a final, hour-long ride on the train from Milan Centrale to MXP.

We then checked into the Sheraton MXP. The check-in desk was a madhouse, and we were told that there would be someone to help with our bags in just a few minutes. This seemed silly at that point. How hard could it be to get to the elevator, go up, and find our room? Well . . . We went up, got off the elevator, and could not figure out which hallway to go down. The layout was confusing, we were tired, and my husband almost went back down to the lobby, feeling stupid.

At that point, a group of conservatively dressed women walked up to us, asking if we needed help. My husband asked if they knew which way to the rooms, since the signage was confusing. They pointed us in the right direction, and then, seeing that I was pushing my suitcase and carry-on alongside my wheelchair while my husband pushed my wheelchair with one hand and his suitcase with the other, offered to help. One of them took my suitcase and carry-on. Another pushed my wheelchair. When I said, "Oh, you don't have to do that," she said, "We do this every day: it's our job." Turns out, they were FAs with Qatar.

I have never flown Qatar, but their kindness and positive attitude that night made a huge impression on me. If this is how they treat strangers off the job, I can't imagine how wonderfully they must treat passengers on-board! My husband and I have decided that if Qatar flies somewhere we are going, we need to take this airline. Funny how, without even being on an ac, those FAs were great ambassadors for their airline.