FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most delays & cancellation seem to be on sUA aircraft?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:10 pm
fly18725

Originally Posted by txp
WOW!

Thanks for posting this.

I did not realize how bad UA was compared to AA and DL. You are correct about delays being mostly sCO.

What I meant to say in my original post is that cancellations, especially international wide bodies, seem to be mostly sUA. Your data confirms this but the discrepancy is not as big as I would have thought.

What is really big is the discrepancy between UA and DL -- the cancellation rate on sCO is four times as big as on DL, and the cancellation rate on sUA is six times as big as DL!

My sense is that the difference between sUA and sCO, assuming such difference is statistically significant, is most likely due to the difference in the age of the fleet.

But the difference between, on the one hand, UA-CO combined and, on the other hand, DL, can only be due to management, because DL inherited some older aircraft from NW and somehow they manage to maintain high reliability.

This is terrible news for UA...
The age of the aircraft can influence reliability, but not to the extent of maintenance. Preventative maintenance, or spending more for better overhauls, can improve reliability, as we've seen in the 747 fleet. There are plans to do the same with the 3-class 767 fleet when it's reconfigured.

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...rior-overhaul/