FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expat to the Caribbean...
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:15 am
Clint Bint
Suspended

Originally Posted by tortellini
Thanks a lot for the replies. I kept on reading and searching. Yes I'm planning to retire even if I'm kind of young. But should I see a remunerative business I might try... But I'm not into taking major risks anymore.

Yes the 75k$ p.a. are due to investments therefore the very low tax of some Caribbean islands are a very big bonus.

We just bought the tickets to St. Lucia spending a few weeks over there trying to gain a very first impression.
There's one other factor not mentioned so far and that's boredom.
Caribbean islands are fine for a vacation but even on the best of these islands ( and there are many where services are rudimentary and crime rates unappealing ) you quickly run out of things to see and do.
Now there's nothing wrong in doing nothing all the time,particularly when you're retired after bringing up a family.You deserve it.
But if you're young and haven't even started a family and are thinking about month in,month out with few people of your own age,background and upbringing to relate to and with a constant fear of serious crime which you'll quickly become aware exists throughout the region and which you never hear about on vacation.? Why do you think most islands now feature mostly AI resorts behind fences ?
I'd seriously consider taking a six month rental to include the off-season to get an idea of how dull some of these places are.
I even get bored after ten days on holiday in St Lucia.Oh please,not another rum punch !

Last edited by Clint Bint; Jul 24, 2015 at 5:20 am