FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Indonesia Itinerary Advice
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:36 am
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The greatest trip I ever did was in summer of '97 when, out of Jakarta and from one of those still-new Internet cafes, I slapped together an itin on easySABRE using command lines to do a combo of Merpati and Sempati flights and PELNI boats to get all the way over to Maluku and Papua (then Irian Jaya). Ambon and Jayapura were OK, but the real plum spots were the Baliem Valley and the Banda Islands (where all the world's nutmeg was produced for some 200 years and European nations fougt to control the spice trade). Very few tourists, not much English and totally unforgettable. But: It took 3 weeks. Then I flew back to Bali for 5 days before taking Royal Brunei to Bangkok.

Would agree with those who've suggested limiting to Java and Bali and maybe a little bit east of that. There's a huge amount to see. Yogya is good for the big places like Borobudur, but you can also tour the Dieng Plateau ("the land above the clouds"), but some batiks on the Malioboro, andeven the beachgoing experience is different, with horse-drawn carts going up and down and lots of wind.

With Bali it's the totality of the culture AND the geography. Kuta has too many hawkers and can be skipped...I liked Ubud better & there are tons of cheap daytours and nightly cultural performances (u have to see a gamelan orchestra).