FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:04 pm
Mark Garretson

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Hello FT! I brand new to the Pacific Northwest, Alaska Airlines, and Mileage Plan.

I was just status matched to MVP Gold and after reading through the forums, I still have some questions and confusion around Gold Guest Upgrade Certs.

First, I want to make sure an assumption is right...I assume that using my DL Skymiles number on an Alaska flight means that I cannot use a MVP Gold Guest Upgrade certificate on that fare? Is that correct?

Other questions revolve around when to use a certificate vs when not to use a MVP GGU certificate.

When I am searching for a flight and am choosing my Upgrade preference for my search, should I always be selecting "MVP Gold Guest Upgrade" or are there times when it makes more sense to select "MVP Gold Upgrade"? (Besides situations where I wouldn't use a Certificate, like on short haul flights etc...)

In a situation that I do a flight search and find a fare that has a Gold U next to it, then book that fare and select to use a Guest UG certificate, will that ticket be automatically upgraded? What about if the U is Teal or Grey? (I know that if the U is slashed out, that means there is no seats available for upgrade)

What about if I do a flight search and select my upgrade preference as MVP Gold. Am I instantly upgraded when booking a fare with a Gold U by it? Then am I wait listed when booking a fare that has a Teal or Grey U next to it?

The ultimate hope is to use the Guest Upgrade Certificates on two round trip Hawaii flights before 12/31/15. Any tips?

As always, thank you everyone for you advise, tips, knowledge. Everything! Seriously, this site is amazing.

Over and out.

Last edited by Mark Garretson; Jul 26, 2015 at 6:26 pm