FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prague, Budapest and Vienna. 16 days in September
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:30 pm
SuperG1955

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
For the Staatsoper:

Your dates coincide with performances of La Cenerentola (16th and 19th) and La Traviata (17th). I think either (or both) is good for novices, as they combine strong stories (the Cinderella tale, or a classic tale of love denied).

Both productions are updated; the Traviata more so (a de-emphasis on heavy scenery, the better to focus on the characters). The production is from the 2011 Aix Festival - I watched the live webcast on the Internet, and I loved the focus on youthful love and celebration. I also think that the cast (Lungu and especially Breslik) will fit this concept very well.

The Rossini has more of a physical production with handsome sets and costumes. I'm intrigued by the Angelina, who is only 28 years old and is a winner of Placido Domingo's Operalia competition. Spagnoli as the "evil" stepfather is a master of comedic acting and singing.

There are still quite a few tickets on the Staatsoper website (without having to go through brokers or concierges):

http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at
THANK YOU for the detail. I've put it to a vote with a recommendation for La Cenerentola on the 16th.

I haven't followed opera closely for a number of years and realized that while I knew that the opera existed, I'd never seen or heard it and wasn't familiar with it. I grew up at the Met. I had an aunt who loved opera and I started going with her in the late 40's. She, and a group of her fiends, sat in the Family Circle and had Odd, Even, and Special Wednesday subscriptions. After my first season('47), she bought a subscription for me and I became a regular through '57 when I went off to college. After I returned to New York, I really didn't like the acoustics and audience after they moved to Lincoln Center so I stopped going.

I believe, based on the quick research I just did, that the Met never staged it until 2009, which explains my unfamiliarity with it. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it.