FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need to cancel/change fare. Rock + hard place
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:43 pm
itwasntandy

Programs: BAEC: Gold
Need to cancel/change fare. Rock + hard place

Was due to be flying tomorrow 24th July with my girlfriend:
Newark (EWR) -> Paris ORY via OpenSkies BA8004 in Economy (selling class O)

Return: 2nd August
Paris ORY -> LHR on BA0331 in Club Europe (selling class J)
LHR -> EWR on BA0185 in Club World (selling class I)

I've a pending job change and as a Brit here, have had to refile with USCIS to transfer my visa to the new company.
There's been a delay at USCIS, with cases taking 5 weeks instead of the usual 2 for my visa type.

Anyway long story short, I can't travel anymore, as if I do, I won't be able to return to the US until the visa transfer is complete, and I've visited an embassy to get the new visa stamped into my passport.

The ticket is changeable, with a fee. The website says $275 per person to change, but won't let me change it…
On the phone they tell me its $500 per person to change and that it must be a glitch with the website.

When I explored the option of delaying the flight until November, they then told me ontop of the $500 change fee they claim is due, there's a further $600 per person due to a difference in fair price.

So that's $1100 per person to change.

I then explored options of canceling, and am told that whilst there were taxes of $869 per person on my tickets, BA will only refund $194 per person of those.

So I'm feeling a bit miffed.

It takes 24-48 hours to get any response from them on options for changing the flight, as it needs to go off to their "fares team".

What are my options?
- The e-ticket doesn't mention change fees, manage my booking shows $275 per person, so how can BA claim its $500 per person?
- In past experience (admittedly ex-UK tickets not ex-USA) I've had most of the tax refunded when canceling , not just a pittance. Is this a change in policy? Are BA allowed to do this, seeing as they surely won't be charged if I don't fly?