FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can a visitor give birth in the UK?
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:35 pm
Calchas
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rea
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago, that's in the Caribbean, but I live and work in Turkey. I don't want to give birth in Turkey, and find it a bit hard to travel all the way back home to give birth. Can I give birth in the UK? I think I would feel much safer as everyone around me would be speaking english. I don't like the hospital service I've been getting in Turkey as well. My nearest embassy is also in the UK.

How much does it cost with the NHS?
I was looking at Ireland as I have friends there, also rent rates there are within my budget. Good idea or bad idea?
I don't require a visa to enter the UK, we usually enter and get stamped for 6 months. Should I do it this way or get a proper medical visa? I've been visiting the UK almost every Christmas for the past 5 years since there's no Christmas festivites here in Turkey and it's always lovely there especially that time of year

'Any' advice would be great, thanks and take care!

PS. We're having twins
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by origin
I am sure Turkey has a facility for births as well. One would expect.
Personally if I was going to have a bloke or a lady fiddling around with my nether regions in a potentially risky medical procedure I would like to speak the same language—fluently.

Even having a haircut abroad makes me nervous so a double-baby extraction would definitely be planned for an English speaking country

Originally Posted by adventuroustraveller
Since the OP is gonna be flying halfway around the world anyway
IST-LHR is not half way around the world. It's about four hours flying time. You can fly there have lunch and come home again.