FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:13 am
OliverB

I'm currently booked in a Giglio Prestige Room for 10 nights entirely on points. We aren't traveling for a full year so I have plenty of opportunity to try and build/maximize my SPG balance. We are booked during low season in the last week of Oct. and I have already put in a request for an upgrade. Chances are favorable that it will happen as I have a Corporate Preferred acct. and a really wonderful Virtuoso agent who has a close relationship with the property and despite the award booking which did not involve Virtuoso, she's offered to call and speak with the hotel prior to our arrival, to ensure that we are well taken care of. That said, I'm considering an upgrade to the Sestiere Suite category for an additional 200k SPG, since the Landmark Grand Canal Rooms are unavailable to book on points. I'd like some advice and input on whether you feel that it would be worth the extra points expenditure. I could always apply for the AmEx card and swap some air miles to make up the difference. Of course, any courtesy upgrades that received through the property would be even more preferable; ie. higher category (hoping for Ruskin/Pisani Suite). If you were presently booked in a Giglio Prestige room for an extended length of stay (full week+) at zero cost and fully paid, with strong likelihood of a courtesy upgrade regardless, would you blow another 200k SPG for the Sestiere and do you feel that the suite offers a considerable advantage in size & layout, decor & furnishing, view (doubtful?) etc. over the G.Prestige room? Would you consider it to be far more preferable/favorable or is it a negligible difference? Room size seems to be almost the same at the high end (25-57 m2 / 38-59 m2). Just wondering if it's worth the added effort to recharge my SPG balance in order to jump up the the base suite category? Grazie!