FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Windy City and The Dairy State via AA 738 Y and VX A320 Y
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:34 pm
lesamuel

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Review: American Airlines Economy Class San Francisco to Chicago O'Hare

We arrived at SFO via an Uber around 12:30 pm for our 2:40 pm flight. We decided to show up extra early to luxuriate in all the delicious food offerings at Terminal 2. . American flies out of SFO terminal two, along with Virgin America.

Terminal 2 Exterior

Check-in kiosk

Check-in desks

SFO Terminal 2 Landside

We went to check-in using the kiosk, and I was both angered and shocked to find Group 2 on my boarding pass instead of Priority AAcess. On top of that, I did not have TSA-Pre. Today’s massage was a bit firmer than usual, and I was also offered a private room this time around. I declined, and almost retorted that “I would prefer my rights be violated in public, thank you.”

Departures board

Terminal 2 Airside

Looking back at “Team SFO”

I have yet to fly out of Terminal 1 or 3 this year, so I’ve become very well acquainted with the layout of the terminal over the past few months.

Terminal 2

Terminal 2

Terminal 2 Signage

We decided to stop at Napa Farms, pick up some gifts for our friends in the Windy City, and enjoyed a leisurely lunch at Tyler Florence Fresh. It’s also worth mentioning the soba/sushi restaurant at T2, which is fantastic, although not pictured.

Napa Farms Market

Napa Farms Market

I walked over to the gate while my travel companion perused a bookstore.

One thing I do love about T2 is the tarmac views, which were spectacular today with 747s and 777s heading to Asia, as well as some standard run of the mill domestic traffic.

Domestic traffic

United 747 takeoff

Eventually we began boarding, on time, beginning with first class, Executive Platinums, and those on active military duty. Soon thereafter the gate agent called group one and two and we were on board.

American 737

American 737

American 737

American Airlines 82
San Francisco (SFO) – Chicago O’ Hare (ORD)
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Depart: 2:40PM, actual 3:19PM (including taxi)
Arrive: 9:02PM, actual 9:27PM (including taxi)
Duration: 4hr 22min
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Seat: 13C (Economy)

Seat

Legroom

View of the cabin

I assigned myself seat 13D, although I traded with my travel companion for 13C. These are listed as non-reclining seats, although there is some limited recline. These seats seemed to be firmer than usual and My lower back began to ache a couple hours into the flight

While American’s 737 are not desirable considering seat comfort and lack of IFE, the power and wifi more than makes up for that. ^

Power

I had brought some entertainment on my iPad, so I watched that for about half the flight, and then read a book.

I used the wifi for thirty minutes throughout the flight, and it was reasonably fast.

Now, a couple words about the service. While I’ve found American’s FAs to be generally more gracious than United’s, both can be hit or miss. On this flight, the FAs hid in the galley for most of the flight and the single drink service was more than two hours into the flight. About two hours into the journey, I decided to walk around and stretch my legs, so I went into the aft galley to grab some water. The FA was eating leftover F class food (which she promptly covered up when I arrived) and said to me “I’m sorry, but no one can be in the galley for security reasons.” Still got some water though .

In general, however, when they did walk through the cabin, they were surly and curt. One of the passengers across the aisle decided to stretch in the aisle for some time (probably after being issued the same galley warning ) and the flight attendant tried to pass him and said “Could you please move? I’m trying to do my job here.”

We landed on time but had a lengthy taxi to our gate, K18. I chatted with my seatmate, only to discover she had a 20-minute connection… to a flight at the AA “G” gates.

Terminal 3 “K” gates

My travel partner and I decided to stop at Tortas Frontera for a Pepito before heading over to Silvercar.

Tortas Frontera

Bottom line:

It might not be comfy, and the service might not be polished, and the plane might be old. But American Y gets you to your destination. If I had the option, I probably would have chosen United for the IFE and E+, but I generally find the concessions at Terminal 2 in SFO worth it to endure an American Y flight . Next up, Silvercar ORD!