FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the most fun you've had in an irrops?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:25 pm
highlander100

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Not exactly fun, but adventurous

Wind back to 3 days before valentine’s day a few years back. I find myself in Williston ND. I phone my wife to say I'm going to stay on a day to see a test then i'll be home for our romantic: trip away. Much wrath, followed by I’ve got 4 days to get home etc,etc,etc, but flights, changed all good.
ISN-DEN ZK
DEN-LHR BA
LHR-ABZ BA

Turn up at ISN at 4:30 to find no plane on the tarmac. Flight the night before didn't get in. Oh st, next flight is 1430 and gets in 30 mins before my BA flight leaves. bye bye ticket as its unchangeable. But wait, person in the queue has a hire car and is driving to Denver. I do the maths and yep I can do it...... So off we go, North Dakota, South Dakota, Newcastle Wyoming. My new travel partner finally gets hold of AVIS. Only to be told, that they are an affiliate of AVIS and you cannot return the car to Denver without a $3500 dollar charge to come and get the car.......

Now do I get out, risk it and take a bus? I bottle it(days before smart phones) and we turn round and go back. 13 hrs later, I'm back where I started, lost my BA flight, rebooked BA and ZT's next mornings flight. beg
a hotel(which anyone who has ever been there knows is no mean feat)

Repeat again. Plane is on the ground, but has now gone tech....... Part is being flown in on the next flight...... 1430. I go back to bed and don't phone my wife.....

1300 go check in. All ok, except they want volunteers to get off the plane
No one speaks up.... so people are picked, turns out 4 of the largest, angriest people on the plane are picked, However TSA soon put pay to that. We all board, then more people are required to get off

Luckily my name doesn't come up. Finally 11 people are left on an EMB 130(subsequently found out a combination of lots of profitable oil field freight and a big set of power lines at the end of the run way don't work in favour of passengers)

Finally get to DEN and have missed by BA flight again, after A few beers I phone my wife

Finally leave DEN the next day and get home the following day to a rather angry wife....