FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on Items That Meets UA's Size Requirements? Enforcement?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:41 pm
zap7

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Question What about Tumi wheeled briefcases?

Hi everyone,
what about Tumi's wheeled briefcases? I had always dreamed of getting the "Alpha 2 deluxe wheeled leather brief with laptop case" ( modell 96127 DH, Nylon version is exactly the same size = modell 26127 DH). They just replaced it with a 4 wheeler so it was on sale for 45% less - so finally I just ordered it for 590 Euros instead of 1.000 Euros

Seems to be the perfect bag sizewise if it should look good for business meetings, last long, take all your electronics + clothes for 2 days . But now I am afraid of the UA sizer, since the bag is 15,5 x 17,5 x 10.
While the 17,5 is significantly smaller than the sizer, the 15,5 might stick out a little at the top and the 10" should just barely fit. But what if the 15,5 stick out a little too much at the top or the 10" do not fit because of a 0.3" difference in measures or because the bag is packed?
I don't want to check in a 1.000 USD briefcase made from soft leathrr with all my electronics inside. I can still return the bag for the next 7 days (just bought it, but did not use it so far) but for every other airline it seems perfect…

I just googled it, did not find anything if it fits the UA sizer and then searched this whole thread including the 2014 part for "Tumi" and read every post with "Tumi" in it which almost took 2 hours, but didn't find anything about the Tumi wheeled briefs.

I am based in Europe so I can't just drive to the airport to check united's sizer, but I will have to fly with them multiple times later this year (GRU-EWR in C and maybe some intra US legs in F/C).

Did anyone here fit a Tumi 96127 or 26127 in the UA sizers?
Any thoughts on wheeled briefcases that are exactly 10" thick, 1" too high but therefore 5" less wider than allowed?
Thanks and best regards,
zap!

Last edited by zap7; Jul 19, 2015 at 11:05 am Reason: got modell number of nylon bag wrong, it's now corrected