FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tehran
Thread: Tehran
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:04 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think the regime is much more interested in global politics than bothering with tourists. They would love more tourist income and I agree that once the sanctions are lifted we'll see a lot of tourism open up. I've had friends from the Gulf tell me that Iran is great during ski season. And I've had French and German colleagues who used to travel there regularly on business before those countries adopted the sanctions.

The other interesting thing is that with the Internet and social media, the young people of Iran are showing that they are like the young people everywhere else.
I thought the recent Anthony Bourdain show in Iran was well done, and provided a nice glimpse into what being a tourist in Iran would be like.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm curious to see how long it will be until Marriott or a Marriott-affiliated third party signs up for a hotel on the ground in THR.
It may be a while before you see a Marriott or any other U.S. chain in THR. While not widely reported in the mainstream media, general sanctions on most U.S. persons would remain in place even if this deal goes through. There are exceptions, such as for commercial aircraft (e.g., Boeing). See, e.g.:

But the strict, decades-old U.S. restrictions on doing business with Tehran, which predate the nuclear crisis and relate to other concerns such as terrorism support and human rights abuses, will remain in place.

"U.S. persons and banks will still be generally prohibited from all dealings with Iranian companies, including investing in Iran, facilitating cleared country trade with Iran," a senior U.S. administration official said at a briefing on Tuesday.

The deal hammered out in Vienna does open some avenues for U.S. companies to expand in Iran. U.S. firms will now be allowed to sell or lease commercial passenger aircraft to Iran, as long as they procure licenses from the U.S. government, giving companies such as Boeing an opportunity.

The deal also allows the U.S. government to license foreign subsidiaries of U.S. companies to operate in Iran, which was banned by Congress in 2012.
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-bu...ar-deal-2015-7