FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apartment help in Rome
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:06 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by cfrayne56
We are a family of 4 planning a trip to Italy next year and will be driving from Naples to Florence. We'd like to spend a few days in Rome on the way but not give up our rental car. Any ideas for where to look for an apartment or B&B close to the Autostrada where we can park the car and take a Metro or train into central Rome? Obviously I would prefer not to drive into downtown.

Grazie in anticipo.
I'm not sure I get this. There are only two Metro lines in Rome, lines A and B. They don't go too far out of the city to where the highways are. The outskirts of Rome are not like a US highway heading into Atlanta, lined with lots of motels with ample parking. From the highways outside of Rome you can't take a Metro into the city. You'd have to take a regional train in, maybe with stops, or transfers to a bus. And the hotels on the outskirts of Rome are decrepit. It's not going to be pleasant.

Instead of staying outside of Rome and taking a train, probably with an obligatory transfer to another train or bus, maybe even more than one transfer to get into the city, every day for two days why not just forget the car and take a train from Naples to the historic center of Rome, and stay there. Driving from Naples to Rome is not pretty or pleasant at all. Depending on the age of the children their tickets might be free, and the two of you can get a train for as little as 52 euros for both. Then you won't have to stay at a dumpy hotel outside the city.

If you really want to drive to Florence (and that's another story), why don't you just pick up the car as you leave Rome and drop it on the outskirts of Florence?