FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel to Japan with an unrelated minor
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:19 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Travel to Japan with an unrelated minor

I guess this question could have been posted in the "Special interest Travel - Travel with children" forum but it is a rather Japan-specific question and I'm hoping someone with this exact knowledge hoovers the destination forum.
(Also, I've scanned that forum and it contains very little about Japan and minors.)

I'm planning a week long trip to Japan with a 11 year old. I am not legal guardian but the minor is in my care. I will get a consent letter from the birth mother who is guardian.

While we are residents of the same country, me and the minor are of different nationalities and thus we must enter Japan on different visas. I fall under visa-exemption rules (can get landing permission upon entering Japan), while I will have to apply for a tourist class visa for the minor in our home country before starting the trip.

We will departure and return to our home country and will of course have confirmed return tickets. We will have a few hotels and domestic transportations booked, but would also like to keep our exact intra-japan-itinerary somewhat open and be spontaneous.

Any pointers or insights on special requirements from Japanese authorities, possible issues we will run into entering or traversing Japan or possible issues with applying for a visa under these circumstances are greatly appreciated!