FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Avios target amount: advice sought by relative newbie on achieving it
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:32 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Scoob72
Thanks so much to all -- I really do appreciate it and it's all very enlightening for someone like me.

I was trying to book 2 x one-way redemptions from Australia to London. I appreciate that I'm cutting it fine timewise (we're trying to go in mid-Jan 2016, hence the need to try to have enough Avios to redeem asap, but, quite probably, I have left it far too late).

Thank you all, though, for the above replies. It's quite a community here, I'm discovering, and I genuinely appreciate all your help/comments! So thank you.
For a one-way from Australia to Europe in Business Class, AA charges 60,000 miles per person; First Class costs 80,000 miles. Rate is the same even if connections are needed in Asia, and even if you mix carriers (like QF and CX).

Avoid BA and IB metal, and you'll pay no surcharges on an AAdvantage award.

When AA runs a sale, you should be able to pick up miles for about 2.1 U.S. cents apiece. But AA will only sell miles to those whose AAdvantage accounts have been open for at least 30 days. So you and your partner should visit aa.com and open your free AAdvantage accounts immediately, if you think there is any likelihood of your wanting to buy AA miles in the future.