FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGW-MAD-HAV - two tickets
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:09 am
frb98mf

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by frb98mf
...from what I understood, Iberia protecting the connection is not a given unless you have made the association in advance, and then (they say - hope this is not tested!) it is assured.

Oh, one more thing - they also told me in advance that I had to buy both tickets through Iberia directly to be given the misconnect protection.

So it turns out I did have to test whether IB would look after me in a misconnect or similar situation. They cancelled my MAD-TLV afternoon flight and rebooked me on the overnight, meaning a 7 hour layover in Madrid, and a very short red-eye.

Given my problem on the outbound with an equipment change from mid-haul to short-haul, I didn't want to just bring up the LHR-MAD to cut the layover time and then rely on them keeping to the A340 l/h they have allocated to the overnight that day to accommodate the bounced pax.

Instead I asked them to give me an invol rerouting on the direct BA167 LHR-TLV, giving me most of a day in London and landing 20 mins ahead of the original schedule!

Hope this is a useful tip - definitely worth associating the bookings to ensure protection. Now to see if I can still get the TPs credited from my original routing...