FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Very Efficient and Passenger Friendly Security Screening System at LGW
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:19 pm
BigFlyer

Very Efficient and Passenger Friendly Security Screening System at LGW

I came through LGW earlier this week - they had the most efficient and I think passenger friendly system I have ever seen.

At the beginning, someone directs you to a numbered station where you can place whatever you need to place into a big plastic tray. When you are done, you place the tray and your bag on the conveyor belt which take it so the x-ray machine. If someone is slow it does not hold up the line because there is no line. Also, there is no pressured feeling. You take as long as you need knowing that you are not holding up the line.

After the x-ray, the bags are automatically routed one of two ways. The bags that pass the x-ray inspection continue on down the belt and you take it off the belt an you are on your way. The bags that don't pass are routed to a parallel belt which is blocked by a plastic screen so you can't get your bag. For those bags a screener takes each bag, asks for the person to whom the bag belongs to approach, and the screening continues. Sometimes they open the bag, sometimes they swab. But the result is those bags that pass are not slowed by those that don't.

Then, after you pass, there are numerous space where you can stand and re-pack your bag, again at your leisure because you are not taking up belt space. When you are done, you place the tray vertically on another conveyor that carries it back to the beginning.

Would be great to have this system in the US.