FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:51 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Wrote a three star review for a three star experience at a VRBO property five night stay in Italy. The owners had subbed out management during the period we were there and the woman they left in charge was an absolute disaster (this wasn't a flat...it was more of a small resort on Lake Como).

After reading my review, the owner emailed and apologized for the poor service we received from their sub, said they rarely take time off from the business but did during the week we were there to accompany their daughter to a sporting event, and offered a full refund...if I would take down the review, stating that a 3 star review (especially from a senior reviewer) would really hurt their small business.

On the one hand, I feel like it was a fair but honest review based on my experience.

On the other, it was clearly a bit of an outlier experience, as every other review refers to the owners/host as the gem of the property.

Unless, of course, they bribe all bad reviewers to take down their less-than 4* review....

We're talking 1300 euros.

Would you take the 'bribe?'