FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Barbados
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:06 am
floridagal23

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Just wanted to pop in with a brief report of our recent stay from last Thurs to Sunday at the resort.

We took the late flight from JFK on Jetblue and arrived around 3:20AM. A quick jaunt through immigration and the hotel representative met us outside of customs with a Fairmont sign. Our car service pulled up within a minute. You can take a taxi, but as it was our first visit and we arrived in the middle of the night, we chose to arrange transfers through the hotel. Next time we would probably just take a cab.

Check in was easy - everything was done in advance of our late arrival which was much appreciated! We had our keys within minutes and off to bed. It is a small property and right on the beach.

As others have said, all rooms are basically the same. The first floor rooms are "Junior Suites" and just from a glimpse seem to be the same size as other rooms but have different/nicer flooring and seating, plus of course the deck with chairs and butler service. We got a great rate of 270/night through the Fairmont website so a regular room was just fine for us for a quick weekend. We would consider staying in a suite next time as my husband really liked the idea of the private deck with dedicated chairs - some have awnings and some just umbrellas. Bathroom was well appointed with lip balm joining the usual line up of Le Labo toiletries.

We did not find the beach to be as well serviced as expected - setting up your chair cover and grabbing towels (both located by the pool) was pretty much 'on your own' style when we arrived at the beach though we did see attendants helping other guests at varying points in the day. This doesn't bother us, and someone was available if you needed to order a drink.
Someone did come around with smoothie samples in the afternoon which was refreshing.

We had lunch both days in the more casual restaurant, Cafe Taboras. The food was ok but expensive (and we always eat by the pool when we stay at hotels for beach getaways, so we are used to the pricing). There is a beach bar next door, JuJu's, where you can order better food at a fraction of the price. Tea is served from 4-5 and is complimentary - includes tea sandwiches, scones, pastries, and tea/coffee/iced tea. Since getting sunshine was my main priority, and Mr. Floridagal usually slept later than me, I just grabbed ice coffee from the bar for breakfast (as suggested by a PP, thanks). There is a nicer restaurant but it is closed in the summer.

Hotel staff was over the top friendly and the concierge was great. Hotel staff/concierge was on top of giving us notifications re: dinner reservations, booking transfers, assisting with cabs, etc.

Overall, a really nice property. It was small and quiet and the staff is great. We would definitely return.