FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Master thread] What's the best "act of kindness" you've experienced while traveling
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:02 pm
Esltroy

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I was a peace corps volunteer in Guatemala. Peace Corps does not give the volunteers a lot of money to live on while living around the world. Every cent, or quetzal, is precious. I was coming back from a date in Guatemala city. My bus was horribly delayed due to a landslide. I ended up missing my last bus to my site in Chichicastenango. I had no money with me at all. This was in the 90s. No ATM or cell help. I just sat at the bus station and was shocked that I had allowed myself to be in this crazy situation. This couple came up to me and asked me if I needed anything. I must have looked like I needed help. I explained my predicament and they offered to let me stay at their home that night. They actually also had a Canadian volunteer who stayed at their house. So the four of us spent the night eating, drinking, and telling crazy travel stories. The next morning I caught my bus to my site. Whenever I would travel through chi-chi I would meet up with them and have lunch, or just sit and talk.