FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:07 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Asiana had a schedule change from daily flights SYD-ICN-PEK to be every 2nd day from July 1.

Plan A we were booked on for months had us arriving in PEK at 9.40 am and leaving to Mongolia on Air Chine at 8.35 am - just inside the 72 hours. (i.e 71 hours)

All cool with that one.

Have a Mongolia VISA, and that seems to be a 'foreign country' for this 72 hour rule.

However with the Asiana connection gone, the only available to us routing to Beijing from SYD later this week has us arriving in PEK a few hours earlier at 5.30am than the Asian flight did .. .the Mongolia flight remains the same departing at 8.35 am ... so that departs ~75 hours later, missing the 72 hours strictly.

If we arrive at PEK at 5.50am and kill time at a lounge or coffee shop airside etc for a few hours, and then pass customs at say 9am does that comply?

i.e. does the 72 hour clock start ticking from the hour you have your passport stamped in PEK, or from when your plane arrives and outgoing plane departs?

Getting boarding passes from TG will be no issues I am sure from SYD-BKK-PEK, it is tryinb to comply strictly with the CHINA policy is what I hope the experts here can assist with.

Glen
As per the wiki, for selected Chinese cites the 72 hours commences not from time of arrival, but from 00:01 the day after arrival. PEK is on that list.

(For passengers traveling through cities not on the 00:01 list, your time is calculated from scheduled arrival time, until scheduled departure time... so there is no option to 'kill time' before passing through immigration.)

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jul 4, 2015 at 5:30 am