FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:32 pm
bdschobel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It's quite clear that neither of us is going to persuade the other to change his mind. Nevertheless, I have to respond:

Smoking is a dirty, expensive, unhealthy addiction. I don't like it any more than you do. But if you want to prevent impressionable teenagers from starting, then you should give presentations at high schools (or even middle schools). There's really little point in making an issue of this on FlyerTalk because almost nobody here is an impressionable teenager at risk of starting to smoke. We are adults, frequent flyers generally, set in our ways. Those of us who already smoke will either continue or stop based on outside forces (like the advice of our own doctors or the pleadings of family members), not warnings posted in a niche area of a travel site like this one.

Smokers have been getting an earful (and eyeful) of warnings about smoking for more than 50 years now. There is simply no purpose served by FlyerTalk chiming in as if this advice hasn't been heard a billion times already.

If Internet Brands feels the need to post a warning about smoking, then I'll just think they are silly. But it likely won't make a bit of difference to anybody who uses FlyerTalk with any regularity.

Bruce