FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:26 am
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I would like to remind everyone that the purpose of TalkBoard is to submit recommendations based on the input of FlyerTalk members, whom we represent.

• We do not have the power to create or close forums.
  • We are not employees of Internet Brands.
  • We have no control over any community directors of FlyerTalk.
  • We are not attorneys who are versed on legal issues.
  • We are not experts on information technology.

We simply submit recommendations. The powers of members of TalkBoard are not exactly all-encompassing and absolute. We are not out to create forums just for the sake of creating forums. As far as I am concerned, if a forum serves a need, it should exist. If a need for FlyerTalk members is not being served, they are then voted to be closed, as has happened to four separate forums recently.

Speaking for myself, I attempt to parse the input of fellow members of FlyerTalk to find out what can be done to improve FlyerTalk. I then communicate with other members of TalkBoard to find out what they think. Sometimes I agree with them. Sometimes I do not agree with them.

If a motion to vote comes to fruition and I am convinced one way or another, I vote in a manner in which I believe is best for the membership of FlyerTalk.

In this particular case, I have voted in favor of the creation of the proposed forum for smokers — despite the fact that I am vehemently against the entire concept of smoking and believe it should be abolished. I have lost family members to lung cancer. I seem to be the person to whom smokers inexplicably like to congregate adjacent despite having acres of room to go elsewhere; and I can drone on all day about how my right to breathe clean air is being breached.

Why, then, did I vote for this motion to pass? Because in my opinion, the FlyerTalk members who have weighed in on the proposed forum have demonstrated to me that there is a need for it.

I have met many FlyerTalk members over the years; and I cannot believe how many of them smoke. It is a disgusting and dangerous habit which I wish I could just wave a magic wand and have it disappear altogether for everyone; but for me to proselytize my adamant beliefs into a vote would be a significant disservice to the FlyerTalk members whom I serve.

To reiterate, the purpose of the proposed forum is not to glamorize or promote smoking of any substance — just as existing special interest forums do not promote a same-sex lifestyle or having a pet. It is simply to assist those FlyerTalk members who smoke to be able to travel — even if just a little bit easier...

...and I know first-hand that Internet Brands has a legal department. If the attorneys in the legal department deem it necessary to add an anti-smoking disclaimer to the proposed forum should the motion be passed, so be it. I am neither for or against that happening...