FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:34 pm
uds0

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the problem as I see it with calling Chip-and=Signature-and-PIN cards just Chip=and-Signature cards is it doesn't distinguish them from a giant number (in terms of number issued) cards from credit card giant Chase which are truly Chip and Signature and nothing else, no PIN support (for purchases) of any kind at all.

So how do you distingiush those if you're going to call cards with "all EMV" support only Chip-and-Signature cards???

Most of the cards I've got in my wallet that are 0% forex and EMV are in fact Chase, and thus truly Chip-and-Signature only. Then I have a Barclays Aviator card which is also 0% forex and EMV but is Chip with Signature priority but also Online PIN and Offline PIN. Why should it not get described differently, since it will work in so many more situations in certain countries?

The correct term for how it will work for primary attended use is "Signature priority", not just "Chip-And-Signature".
non-chip cards are also "signature priority"!