FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 48 hours in NY: Diamond Shopping and lots of drinking
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:31 am
Petrus

Continued...

After some sleeping, movie watching and two more congratulatory toasts we approached JFK and Terminal 8. I dreaded the potential of immigration hell as T8 is much larger and has many flights from obscure places, compared to T7 which I usually arrive to courtesy of BA.

Thankfully, we parked bang on as close as you can get to immigration. Basically in front of the Flag Ship lounge in the main terminal building. Short walk to stairs and down to US border. Phew.... not so busy. Possibly 15-20 or so groups of singles or more to be processed ahead of us. However, it was painfully slow so we still needed 20 minutes to clear. Time was now just after 3.30PM EST. Just to add, we were lucky. A minute or two after our arrival into the CBP hall, mayhem ensued. It was like lemmings falling on top of each other, down the stairs from both sides. I felt sorry for those at the back... 3 hours minimum.
At this moment we felt sad that we did not posses a glass of something nice to congratulate ourselves on our fortunes and success. It would have to wait an hour or so, until Mid Town.

One clear, we had to wait for my companions bag to show up. He checked a bag as he would be shopping, copious amounts. His Rimowa arrived quickly, but it had been banged up and part of the handle had broken off... bugger.
To get AA to cover the cost, you have to report it before leaving the airport (makes sense). Thankfully AA luggage center was quiet, so the formalities where fairly quick and we did not have to extend our wait for libations to grim levels. He was given enough compensation to buy a new suitcase, and could keep the old one... now that is service recovery.

Finally cab to Grand Hyatt. Weather was fantastic. 20/72F. It had been freezing cold for a long time in New York.
Arrived Hyatt just before 5pm.
Check-in was brilliant. A lovely vixen named Michelle looked after us. Upon hearing that we would only be staying two nights, flying all the way from Switzerland (I said Sweden, and only mentioned the hockey) something happened with her look, and as my friend agreed to, she would not mind me asking what time she finishes work. But I am a married responsible dude.

Dinner was booked for 9:45 at Luger in Brooklyn. Always, every time, no exception when in New York. Before this we also managed a few pit stops.

- Drop of bags in hotel room (upgraded to Deluxe Queen Twin).
- Bryant Park for beer in the sun, hanging with all the city working folks, looking at women.

- back to hotel for shower and change of attire
- drop by and old friend from High School. She lives with her family on Chambers Street in Lower Manhattan. Great seeing them all, lovely kids, nice condo, good wine, excellent roof terrace. Things where splendid. We toasted and congratulated ourselves.

- 40 minutes later next stop over at Smyth Bar, where my companions friend and partner would meet us for a drink (they also visited New York this weekend, all the way from Sweden). More toasts. Vodka Martini please.

- another 40 lovely minutes passed and we had to hail a cab to head over to Brooklyn. I'll admit by now there where infrequent moments of tiredness making itself known. We had been up for some 21 hours.

- Yes. You make me so happy

Vodka Martini at the bar before being seated. Now, if you want to eat stake here remember; bring lots of cash. Do not eat too much of the bread and dip in the Luger sauce. And book a table more than a month out to have a shot a normal meal hours.

- Best steak around.

By now both sat and nodded at the table. Not for being drunk, but extremely sleepy. Finished the chocolates they give you for a last sugar kick, mustering enough energy to walk outside to a taxi. No taxi
Uber to the rescue.

Managed to take this photo before falling asleep...

20 minutes later driver woke us up. Get out of my car please...
Upon arriving in the room, the aforementioned Michelle had not stopped thinking about me, and we where greeted with this in the room:

A bucket full of beer, with a greeting card

Said greeting card. How adorable. She had printed out the Rangers Logo and glued it on a Hyatt card ^ Time to congratulate ourselves one more time before bed time.

XOXO indeed!

More later, thanks for reading so far.