FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by wharvey
Once there is a PROVEN need for this forum.... with sufficient threads and posts in other forums..... I would support the forum.

I just find this forum potentially being created by going against the CURRENT Talkboard guidelines. Until those guidelines are revised, I think they should be followed. It will be difficult to use "lack of sufficient demand" to oppose a forum in the future if this one is approved.
As I wrote on the other thread (emphasis added):

Originally Posted by nsx
If there's a way to gauge interest without creating a new forum, I'd like to hear it. In the meantime, in my opinion the lack of any good home for a relevant subject is a trump card. As the person who drafted the forum creation criteria, I never anticipated such a situation.

The criteria ask "Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject?" rather than "In the absence of a forum, is there any place on FlyerTalk for this subject?" For the Smokers' Lounge, that answer is currently "No". To me, that supports the need for a forum. And yes, I strongly expect it to succeed. I believe there is a pent-up demand for discussion of topics from a smoker's point of view.