FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:12 pm
REPUBLIC757
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by LPDAL
^

Anecdotal evidence does nothing to convince me. If Delta, or American, or JetBlue, or Frontier, or Emirates etc. etc. etc..... are better than United as claimed and is readily accessible, why are people still supplying United with their hard - earned money instead of Delta hoping something will miraculously be different at the airport? If Delta is so much better, fly Delta?

-LPDAL
Delta is better than United. They have a satisfaction score 10+ points higher than UA.

It's pretty clear that it's not by the grace of God that Delta is posting better operational numbers than UA. They take better care of their planes. The how and why I'm not sure since I'm not a mechanic.

But also keep in mind that while users like to think UA has a "young" fleet, they pretty much don't at this point. Majority of their aircraft were delivered in the mid/late 1990s with only some 737s delivered post 2000s. Those once new CO 738s are now 15+ years old, CO 764s 14+ years old, and the oldest CO 757 is now 21 years old. sUA's fleet is similar in age.

One theory: UA's MX logic was deferrance, CO's was preventative. Unfortunately for both: The sCO fleet is getting up there in age for full-on preventative MX to keep up with high utilization. The sUA fleet with sitting on MX was in the long term a costly move as well. So it's a loose loose for UA in additional to possible contract issues.

Last edited by REPUBLIC757; Jun 30, 2015 at 12:21 pm