FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:11 am
EWR764

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I was thinking along the same lines of Bearx220 that the number of RTG scenarios doesn't quite fit with a labor action by the mechanics.

I think the point being made was if the mechanics were causing the issue, the planes would not be pushing from the gate. Seems the issues are being discovered after the plane has been "accepted" as ready-to-fly by the pilots.
I think it's a sort of simplistic view of operations, and assumes that all potential maintenance defects or issues are discovered and cured prior to pushback. Further, it assumes that most, if not all, return to gate scenarios result in lengthy delays, outright cancellations or crew time-outs under "normal" circumstances. That's just not the case.

I am in complete agreement that staffing, the aggressive flex-up of the schedule and perhaps unrealistic expectations for the current fleet composition in terms of utilization are all causal factors here. But trying to explain away reasonable evidence and discussion of what appears to be a thinly-veiled mechanic job action, as if things are business-as-usual on that side of the house, is somewhat ignorant of reality.