FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any UA pilots or mechanics on FT: why so many MX this year?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:40 am
EWR764

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
The high number of RTG (return to gate) delays / cancellations, and board / deboard / cancel reports, seem to indicate -- circumstantially -- that aircraft are being delivered to the line allegedly ready to fly, but flight crews discover issues during preflight or taxi which demonstrate otherwise. That does not seem to point to a mechanics' slowdown. That seems like a labor force that does not have enough time to keep the fleet airworthy given the demands of the schedule.
Or is it an issue where, under normal circumstances, the returns may be caused items that can be MEL'd, deferred or quick-fixed (with a little hustle), and now these warts are being treated as tumors, therefore leading to a higher-than-usual cancellation rate? Combine that with the fact that the company and pilots could not agree on a proposal to relax contractual duty time rules (for more pay) closer to FAA minimums to address this very situation and you have some of the key ingredients for a crew time-out.

I'm not a pilot nor do I work for the company, but anecdotally, I hear of that sort of thing happening too.

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 30, 2015 at 9:46 am