FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Providing Advance Notice (multiple days) of Delays/Cancellations
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:12 pm
mduell
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stratofortress
Question: I had a paid F ticket on a flight from Austin-Chicago, 4 days from now, and they can't accommodate me on anything approaching the same schedule. I asked if they would send me over to AA since they have a flight that arrives/departs at almost exactly the same time. They refused, but they also refused to refund my ticket. Is that truly the policy, or am I getting the runaround?
HUCA, UA can put you on AA at UA's discretion.

RULE 24 FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS/AIRCRAFT CHANGES

Schedule Irregularity – any of the following irregularities:
Flight or service cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption in the scheduled operation of a carrier’s flight;

E) Schedule Irregularity
1) Liability - Except to the extent provided in this Rule and the Warsaw and/or Montreal Conventions, UA shall not be liable for any Schedule Irregularity.
2) Delay, Misconnection or Cancellation
a) When a Passenger’s ticket is affected because of a Schedule Irregularity caused by UA, UA will take the following measures:
(i) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger; or
(ii) At its sole discretion, UA may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier. United may also, at its sole discretion, and if acceptable to the passenger, arrange for the passenger to travel via ground transportation.
b) In the event a Passenger misses an onward connecting flight on which space is reserved because the Delivering Carrier did not operate its flight due to a Schedule Irregularity or Change in Schedule, the Delivering Carrier is responsible to arrange for carriage of Passenger or to make a refund.
3) If a Passenger is not transported as provided in E) 2) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).
4) If space is only available and used on a UA flight(s) of a lower class of service than originally purchased by the passenger, UA will provide a refund of the difference in fare pursuant to Rule 27 C) 5).

Emphasis on your 3 issues: OAL, refund, and cabin.

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I just received notification of an operational cancellation for a flight on July 5, PHL-ORD-MSP. PHL-ORD is the offending segment. Auto rebook was the next morning via IAD. What options do I have when I call? N fare, booked with July expiring ETC and cash roughly 50/50.

Ideal outcome is ETC with new expiration and I book myself on the now cheaper nonstop. Acceptable alternates are MDT and ABE origins.
Find the flights you want and call in to get them. Or take the refund, although the amount may be unfavorable if it's a RT ticket.

Last edited by mduell; Jun 29, 2015 at 6:29 pm