FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Idiotic (?) response from Rewards Network
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:43 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Roger, I don't quite understand your response. The ads I've seen for Black Bear Diner on the RN website are for the WHOLE CHAIN -- not just one specific branch (or branches).

My point is that ALL members of the chain benefit from the advertisements on the RN website. If 1) the ad is on the RN website (thus implying participation in RN) and 2) ALL members of the chain are benefiting from that ad, why should some branches be allowed to opt out of RN? Seems like they're sponging off the others.

It also leads to ill will on the part of the customer.

Anyway, I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with Black Bear Diner. The one in Gilroy (that dropped out of RN, unbeknownst to me), has disappointed me a couple of times. I'll find some other place to patronize in the area (might start patronizing Casa de Fruta again -- at least they're open round the clock and still participate in RN).
My point is Black Bear is not the only one in this situation. For instance only some Togo's participate. The one closest to me does not. I go there for the food so losing out on the points is not nice but not a show stopper. Forcing all franchises to join a program just because one (or a few) do is not going to happen. If corporate signs up, then I'd expect them all to belong, but even that can be dicey.

For instance AAA advertises a Wienerschnitzel discount AND even lists the specific stores that participate! However, when I ask at many of the stores I'm told they don't offer the discount (some say they can't do it because they don't have a button on the register, sad day for math teachers). I've tried complaining to Wienerschnitzel and to AAA but they just point the finger to the other. This is a world of buyer beware.