FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free Windows 10 upgrade
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:39 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WillCAD
but from the previews I've seen online, it looks like the desktop, start menu, start bar, and system tray all work the same as in Win7, but with tiles from the Win8 start screen added to the right side of the start menu to make it more touch-friendly. Not sure, but I think you can turn the tiles off and just use the start menu the way it worked in Win7.
The start menu behavior is a bit different from Windows 7, and (for example) if you're used to the quick access menus for things like Recent Files, Documents, Downloads, etc, I was not able to find a trivial way to bring them back -- but I didn't spend a long time looking, nor did I check if you can turn the tiles off (I should; I don't care for them.)

The new search interface from the start menu is quite different.

For people who manage a lot of files, the file management interface in explorer still has the ribbon-ification from Windows 8 -- the traditional menus are gone, and the keyboard shortcuts changed significantly. The system comfiguration interfaces are a bit cleaner than in Windows 8, but more have moved to the new interface.

It's an older Dell desktop that's in need of a wipe and reinstall anyway, so I'm just going to wait until the release and put a clean install of Win10 on it.
I wouldn't wait on that one, and just try it with the preview release now.