FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renewing Passport Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:17 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Mexico only requires a valid US passport at time of entry. Most other countries do require the 6 month requirement and the airline may hassle you but once they check Timatic it would be resolved.

Using an expediter service or the same day urgent service (for additional fee) if you live near a passport center may work for you. For that you have to prove you have international travel already planned and ticketed. Be prepared to spend several hours in line for that.

Letting your passport get less than 6 months is a risk. You should institute a renewal as it generally takes several weeks unless you're willing to pay for expedited, expediter or urgent travel services.
According to other posts by the OP here, I believe the OP will be traveling on DL. Hence, who knows what entry requirements the DL GA will impose? I would assume that what happens on the day of travel is very much YMMV. DL says it has "it's own version of TIMATIC" (direct quote from a redcoat) which disagrees with the (presumably normal) version linked to the SkyTeam website. Part of the problem may be that DL GAs are not trained properly n how to use TIMATIC correctly.

If there's any chance that someone will want to travel to some not-yet-determined country, it's wise to never allow the passport to go within six months of the expiration date.

Another option might be for the OP to request a second passport if doing so would simplify the logistics. I would never want to send the passport to the USA while abroad, either directly or to a passport/visa service agency. There could be legal situations where one is required to show a passport more-or-less immediately. [I don't know whether Mexico officially requires that foreigners carry passports at all times as some countries do.] Moreover, there could be cases of someone needing to travel immediately (for example, to return to the USA, although there if an airline would let one board, a USA passport isn't strictly required for a USA citizen to enter, but the trick would be convincing officials of the citizenship and it would probably be long and unpleasant) in an emergency.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 22, 2015 at 2:22 pm